My Work History
Full Stack Software Engineer
Consultant (July 2014 to Present)
- As a consultant, I work on programming projects I’m passionate about and that have a positive impact on the world.
- Rebuilt a humanitarian mapping app for the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team.
- Contributed to several open source projects including NASA Worldview and Webpack.
- Wrote custom plugins for WordPress and Discourse.
Senior Software Engineer (Remote)
Pinto (July 2019 to July 2020)
- Built a custom ETL tool to support our nutrition science team’s formulas for calculating nutritional information for Whole Foods and other national grocery chains.
- Built a tool for automatically creating Amazon mturk tasks used to process and validate data for millions of products.
- Built and maintained several React apps used by our nutrition science team to manage and analyze data.
Senior Software Engineer (Remote)
Mokriya (July 2018 to July 2019)
- Improved front end performance by fixing memory leaks, fixing bugs, and significantly reducing app bundle size.
- Streamlined team’s engineering process by updating quality control tools and reducing technical debt.
- Enabled team to iterate faster by increasing unit test coverage and improving continuous integration process.
- Helped our team ship new client-facing features ahead of schedule.
Full Stack Engineer
NASA [Goddard, GIBS/Worldview, ASRC] (July 2017 to February 2018)
- Saved our team thousands of dollars in engineers’ time every week by replacing a manual QA process that took weeks with automated browser tests that ran in minutes, enabling us to iterate and ship new features quickly.
- Reduced deployment time from over an hour to <5 minutes, allowing us to rapidly release new features and bug fixes.
- Raised the bar for engineering practices and quality standards by implementing coding standards and code reviews.
- Created a better product for our users by shipping new features, optimizing performance, reducing technical debt, and migrating an aging code base to ES6.
Full Stack Engineer (Remote)
Sparkart Group, Inc (June 2014 to June 2017)
- Increased the productivity of Front End Developers on the team by creating build scripts, command line interfaces, chat bots and other tools to support their work.
- Used React/d3 to build an app for streaming live experiment data from the International Space Station, and React/AWS Lambda to build a web crawler for lawyers to track IP infringements.
- Saved the company thousands of dollars a month by migrating an app platform that powered the websites of Bon Jovi, Janet Jackson, Jason Aldean, Carrie Underwood, The Immunity Project, Space Tango, and UFC from a Ruby monolith to Node.js micro-services.
Director of Media and Front End Engineer
Doulos Discovery School (July 2012 to June 2014)
- Enabled staff, students and parents in multiple countries to communicate more effectively by designing and developing a bilingual responsive website with a CMS, administrating Linode servers, and managing Google Apps.
- Helped the organization raise hundreds of thousands of dollars by creating a bilingual media strategy to bring in donations using web, photo, video and print media.
- Designed curriculum for and taught a high school digital communication class and programming club.
- Worked in a professional capacity, pro-bono for two years for this nonprofit organization.
Front End Engineer
OuterBox (August 2011 to July 2012)
Delta Media Group (2010 to 2011)
- Optimized websites for SEO using microdata and Schema.org
- Created HTML email campaigns